Bad weather can be a bummer for both you and your dog. When it's too cold, hot, or wet to go outside, it can be tough to find ways to keep your furry friend entertained. Here are a few ideas for keeping your dog occupied in the rain, sleet, or snow and keep the indoor fun going on those days when the weather isn't cooperating:
- Go on a treasure hunt. Hide treats or toys around the house and let your dog search for them. This is a great way to keep their mind and body active.
- Have a play date with a dog-friendly friend. Invite a friend over with their dog and let the pups play together. Just make sure the dogs get along before inviting them into your home.
- Teach your dog some new tricks. Dogs love to learn and it's a great way to keep their minds active. Start with some basic tricks like sit, stay, and come, and then move on to more advanced tricks like roll over or shake.
- Play indoor fetch. If your dog loves to fetch, you can play a modified version of the game inside. Use a soft toy or ball and make sure to keep an eye on any breakable objects.
- Set up an obstacle course. Use household items to create an obstacle course for your dog to navigate. You can set up a tunnel using a cardboard box, weave poles using empty soda bottles, and create a balance beam using a broom handle. You can also get your own indoor/outdoor agility set and keep the fun going no matter the weather.
- Have a spa day. Give your dog a relaxing spa day by giving them a bath or brushing their nails. Just make sure to use dog-friendly products and be gentle with their paws.
- Play dress-up. If your dog doesn't mind wearing clothes, have some fun by dressing them up in costumes or sweaters. Just make sure the outfit fits properly and doesn't restrict their movement.
- Have a movie marathon. Pop some popcorn, snuggle up on the couch, and have a movie marathon with your dog. They'll love the extra attention and you'll both have a relaxing time together.
- Get creative with toys. Use empty cardboard boxes or old t-shirts to create new toys for your dog. You can also stuff a Kong toy with treats to keep them occupied.
- Take a trip to the pet store. If you're getting cabin fever, take a trip to the pet store. Your dog will love checking out all the sights and smells, and you can both get out of the house for a bit.
By keeping your dog entertained, you can make bad weather days more enjoyable for both of you. Just use your imagination and have fun!